Wednesday, June 13, 2018

The Noise

 
Se llama Ranking Stone y es conocido como El Rey de los Melones pero en verdad creo que debe ser conocido por su voz que en las palabras de Romeo So Nasty! Pues lo puedo escuchar el día entero.

His name is Ranking Stone and he's known as the King of the Melons but really he should be known for that seductive voice, he's like the Puerto Rican Barry White. I can hear talk all day.

Fan: Ranking!
Ranking Stone: What's going on? How are you?
Fan: You sand Los Melones! I'm happy that you sang it. Very good, very good.

Bionica: Well, for starters, Ranking Stone the King of the Melons, but with that voice–did you ever think about working as an announcer? You just speak so beautifully.
Ranking Stone: Well, I did study broadcasting before getting into music although music has always been a part of my life because I come from a family of musicians that have always played in bands. My grandparents were troubadours. During Christmas in Puerto Rico we were always the ones who did the Parranda (wassailing) and what not bus aside from that I did study broadcasting. But after I finished my studies, I dedicated myself more to music although I had done all of the news practices, commercial announcing…but I just left it at that. Many people have told me that, but, well I stayed in the path of music.
Bionica: You can tell me that I'm ugly, that my hair is a mess and it will still sound good because Ranking Stone said it.
Ranking Stone: No, no, no, you're beautiful. Everyone is having a good time here.
Bionica: But with that voice…
Ranking Stone: You're hair is beautiful. (Sexy voice on!!)
Bionica: I love it!! (Me encanta)
Ranking Stone: And some spectacular eyes!
Bionica: Thank you.
Ranking Stone: See, see chuckles.
Bionica: Aside from reggaeton, what is your favorite type of music?
Ranking Stone: Well, check this out, I really like merengue. Merengue by Grupo Mania, Elvis Crespo. I'm also a salsa lover. I like all genres of music but especially the Latino ones. In regards to rap, hip-hop and the like, I like some but have always had a preference to the latin rhythms. The rhythms that have also instructed me into putting together my songs.
My style is a little different than others and it's because of what I like.
What I really like is Latin music.
Bionica: What do you enjoy most about working with your friends?
Ranking Stone: Well um chuckles it's a group of humble people above everything. The old school crowd, well we're somewhat seasoned. We enjoy life, we enjoy what we do and we have a lot of passion. For example, DJ Nelson, right now we're here doing this recording and he's around somewhere jumping, dancing, having fun… DJ Negro too!
You know, we're a little older in age in comparison to the kids that are starting out now, but we enjoy life and the truth is that we enjoy what we do. It's the passion that moves us.
Bionica: What's the best advice that you have ever received that you still adhere to today.
Ranking Stone: Well, my grandparents had always told me to keep my feet on the ground. Humility is the best thing one can have and I think that it's something that has always been a trait of mine. I've always been humble and it's what I've always taken with me and I've tried to stay on that route doing all things with a humble heart and a lot of respect. It's a bit of advice that has lasted me forever.
Bionica: Thank you so much.
Ranking Stone: Thank you.


He's a dad, he's a husband, he's a cook and also a hard working man that made sure to make his mark and stand out–he's DJ Negro!!! Pioneer of that old school movement that has helped shape reggaeton into what it is today.

El es padre, un esposo, chef esquisto, un hombre luchador que trabajó duro para sobresalir–el es DJ Negro!!! Pionero de la vieja guardia, ese movimiento clave que ha influido lo que es reggaeton hoy en dia.

Bionica: DJ Negro, what is it that you like most about your job?
DJ Negro: What I enjoy most about my job?Seeing people enjoy what I do. Me at the turntables, preparing the music, getting people pumped and then you see how they dance, they sing… It's kind of like when you make rice & beans or whatever it is that you're eating and you prepared this meal that's really good. You set the table and then nobody eats and you say to yourself 'Wow, after I spent all this time making it…' You know, its satisfying to see people having a good time as a result of what your doing.
Bionica: If you weren't a DJ, what would you be?
DJ Negro: A cook.
Bionica: Si? Yeah?
DJ Negro: Because I love being in the kitchen.
Todo Latin Network: Food is great.
Bionica: What's your specialty?
DJ Negro: Lasagna.
Bionica: Really?
DJ Negro: I love lasagna.
Bionica: OMG
DJ Negro: Listen, for your information, I graduated as a chef. I've got my certification and everything, and I'm also quite good. And if it's bad, then I really won't make it at home, my wife will make it laughs.
Bionica: Do you have kids?
DJ Negro: Yes, I have 3 kids.
Bionica: What is it that your kids like the most, about their dad being DJ Negro?
DJ Negro: Well, I already have 2 adolescents. My son is 25 and my daughter is 23. They don't always say it, but every once in a while I'll hear 'Papi, I met this person and when they found you're my dad they went crazy' laughs. When they were kids, they didn't really listen to reggaeton, they were more into rock and the like. They didn't really keep tabs on me in that sense, but now that they're older and have seen what their dad has done, they say 'Wow.'
Bionica: What's something that you always try to teach your kids.
DJ Negro: Well, I tell them they shouldn't smoke, they shouldn't be dealers and that they should try to do things legally. It's worked up to now.
Todo Latin Network: What does a legend like you say to the new generation that wants to DJ? What advice do you have for them?
DJ Negro: Well, when I started in '83, I'm going to tell you this story that happened to me. I couldn't DJ for the life of me. I had never even touched the turntables but I felt that I knew how to do what the DJ was doing and I remember this DJ from the town I was born in, La Perla San Juan. I told him 'Listen, let me play something, I know how to do it' and this is what he said to me '#@$% off and don't bother me' and I told him 'I'm going to learn and I'm going to beat you at your own game.' I ran into him some 10 years after that while I was  DJing and he tells me 'S@!* DJ Negro let me play something' and I asked him 'Do you remember what you told? #@$% off? Now it's your turn to #@$% off' laughs
But really, my advice is to keep going. Perseverance is your tool to show others that yes you can do it.
Bionica: Thank you so much.


Red Bull Music
The Brand Phoenix

No comments:

Post a Comment

yes show some love